Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Music Monday - Five Finger Death Punch

I'm going to start something new on my blog that I hope will keep me writing more consistently. Every Monday I'll do my best to put out a post about the music I've been listening to most recently. It'll be different but I'll still give my perspective and blah blah blah. I realize that today isn't Monday, though I do tend to get my days of the week confused. But if I had posted on Monday, this is what it would have been...

This past week I've been listening to a lot of Five Finger Death Punch. I hadn't listened to much from their first release, but upon doing so I realized why its called The Way of the Fist. Only a couple songs in and it felt like I'd just had the crap beaten out of me. The sick guitars' speed picking coupled with intensely belligerent lyrics makes for an audio smack in the face I won't forget.

Lead vocalist Ivan Moody's loud yelling vocals add impact to the angry lyrics while the guitars and drums slam the air waves with a sound that makes me think of a jack hammer pounding through concrete. In addition to the rough shouting, the album contains a decent amount of clean singing particularly during chorus lines.

Concerning the lyrics, I'd say "thems be fightin' words" and its true. Throughout most of the album, the words express great levels of disdain, frustration, and pissed-off-ness; Usually its complemented by an element of pessimism such as in "Never Enough" the words 'In the end, we're all just chalk lines on the concrete, drawn only to be washed away'. In "The Devil's Own", the lyrics talk about a childhood being destroyed by the father. In the song Ivan (who I assume wrote the lyrics) blames his father for being the reason he's dead inside. He also admits to hating to what he's become as a result of a flawed upbringing. Needless to say, the words contain high levels of emotion, which makes it one of my favorites. Along with that piece, I favor "The Way of the Fist", "White Knuckles", "Stranger Than Fiction", "Ashes", and "A Place to Die".

The entire album is rock solid and it was a great start to FFDP's music career. That's the end to our first Music Monday despite it being Wednesday -___-. I don't plan on them being long or super refined. Shoot me some feedback, comments, etc.

1 comment:

  1. I think you meant that this is in advance of the following monday, because, well it's tuesday and i'm still waiting for another music entry

    ReplyDelete